Welcome to Habitat For Horses!|Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Danger of Mycotoxins 

sweet feed

Here on the Gulf Coast we live with high humidity and the mold/fungi that come with that. Horse feed storage is on the top of our list when it comes to horse care concerns. Remember that feed that contains molasses can mold quickly – so feed oldest to newest always. This article lists a variety of mycotoxins, how to identify them and what damage they can do to your horse. ~ HfH

From: The Horse
By: Janice L. Holland, PhD, PAS

These harmful toxins produced by molds and fungi could be lurking in your horse’s feed and forage

sweet feed

Keep sweet feed sweet by storing it in a cool, dry place so it doesn’t ferment or mold.

Did you know there are toxic substances tucked away in your horse’s feed and forage? You can’t see them, and you can’t eradicate them, but chances are these compounds, called mycotoxins, are present.

Specific molds and fungi produce mycotoxins in soils, grains, and forages when environmental conditions are favorable. Once produced, they are generally very stable and will persist for a long time during storage.

Continue Reading


Habitat for Horses is a 501.c.3 nonprofit equine protection organization supported solely by donations. We have around 200 donkeys and horses under our care, plus one ornery, old mule. Most of them are here because law enforcement removed them from their previous owner. Our ability to rehabilitate and rehome them comes from the financial support of people like you. Please support us by making a donation for the horses we all serve. Click HERE to donate