Horse slaughter fight in New Mexico officially over (Video)
Hurray! If this is true, it is a great victory against horse slaughter in the United States. Now to stop the hundreds and hundreds of American horses sent to slaughter in Mexico and Canada. ~ HfH
By: Emily Younger
ROSWELL, N.M. (KRQE) – It’s official. The controversial horse slaughterhouse in New Mexico will not be opening.
“I think it’s just time to stop and see what will happen now,” said Valley Meat Owner Rick De Los Santos.
For almost four years, De Los Santos has been trying to slaughter horses for food.
He’s faced court battles from animal rights groups and the Attorney General along with federal push back.
Earlier this year the President signed a bill to stop funding horse slaughterhouse inspections until 2016.
Friday, De Le Santos told KRQE News 13 the fight is over.
Habitat for Horses recently lost 100 acres of grazing land needed to feed our rescued horses! Your help is desperately needed! Without this land we can not rescue other abused and neglected horses. Please donate today. Find out more by clicking here.